CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

The Bunny Hop

I was young
And climbed tall ladders
For money.

Some ladders were nearly
V
E
R
T
I
C
A
L
.

The space between the rungs
Was beckoning death.

But the electric lines
Through which I’d threaded
Promised I would never feel the
Pain
Of a crash landing.

Sometimes I fantasized about
Deliberately
Taking that plunge
Pressing the idea into me
The way light
Presses into the tender pulp
Behind the eyelids.

I climbed rung by rung
Like
The Bunny Hop...

I put my right foot in
I’d take my left foot out
I’d put my right foot in
And I’d shake it all about.

My family and friends would come
To the wake
And exclaim how I looked
To just be asleep.
They would remark on how noble I was
To give my life
For the support
Of my young family.

But I would lay there thinking
They’d be amazed
If they knew my last thoughts
Before I fell
Were of
The Bunny Hop.

0 comments: