CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 23, 2014

Replies to Recent Comments....

Dear Fellow Poet, who commented on Mixed Joy...I'm just a novice poet too. I make this stuff up as I go along. Most of it comes from my life experiences, but not all. In response to your question, I encourage you read the classic poets, and most contemporary poets (Pablo Neruda, Sara Teasdale are two of my favorites. By "contemporary," I mean those who have written in the last 100 years. A living poet, Billy Collins, always amazes me, but in ways far different from the first two I mentioned). They all are willing to "get naked" before their readers. Writing good poetry requires the poet be willing to expose, from his/her life experiences, those things nearly everyone has in common. Yes! You may alter what you write, making it a bit different from what actually happened. But be "stingy" with that. Your best work will spring from truth. Some of the poems I write have nothing to do with my personal history. It's manufactured. I've never been a cowboy, but I write about cowboys. Never been a soldier. But I write about soldiers. (I do have qualities from both, however. I've chased loose bulls, and been shot at)They're okay poems. But I have been seriously injured. I've been hurt. I've been loved and left. I've been satisfied. To me, those poems really shine. Everybody has suffered, known devastating loss, experienced passion, thrill, and mystery. You must help them visit again those moments by allowing yourself to be their lens. That's what I mean by "get naked" with your readers. Maybe 20% of your readers will understand. Write for them. Those who read you in hurried exasperation will never understand. Be kind to them. Do not discount them. They may return. If you would like me to read some of your work, and offer constructive thought, e-mail them to Coldrainandwind@aol.com. Remember...I'm not a "pro." I'm just a guy trying to present life as I've seen it. "Good Luck" is a meaningless sentiment. "Get Busy" is far better. Just write. Don't stop writing. That's what writers do. Writers write! I hope to hear from you again. Thanks for reading me! ~~~ James

To the reader who commented on F...Yep. It hurts. It really sucks. Words mean things, and our society places incredible value on the "F Word." We call it the "F Bomb" for good reason. It flings burning shrapnel directly into the human heart. Lovers use it to provoke passion. Actually, I think that's a base and low word to employ for the most amazing and transformative of human actions. People who are provoked to rage use that word to slash, inflict emotional pain, and establish, what they think, is a position of dominance. I feel pity for them. Unfortunately, I have experienced this very thing. I don't usually respond well, but I have never slashed out. Engaging in passive behavior may seem to be the reaction of a weakling. But I submit that, to not return anger for anger, shows great courage, and restraint. I hope to achieve that someday. I'm getting better at it, but turning the other cheek is a life's work. You asked why I stayed so long in the marriage. Great question. Perhaps for the same reason beaten dogs stay...there's no open gate. Expectations of others I hoped to please kept me there. But that's a flimsy reason. I hoped I could change her. After all the time I'd invested, I was unwilling to walk away. Dumb, yes. I've learned a truth that most folks likely already knew: there is no change coming unless the one in question is ready to engage in healthy behavior. I no longer see myself as tenacious. In retrospect, I see myself as foolish. Thanks for reading me! But please don't feel sorry for me. All the pain I've endured (you would be amazed at the variety) has made me a wiser man.....James


To the Reader who Commented on Solace...I am stunned. For the 1st time, I am unsure what to say. My mind is reeling, and trying to imagine who you may be. Perhaps you are a voice in the wilderness, for me, reminding me of who I once thought I was (See how the mighty have fallen!) But, okay. Let me respond as best I can. You are right. I had the world in my cross hairs in the '70's. I believed I was capable, and I was thrilled with the prospects that lay ahead. As a young man I took risks. The late 80's and 90's were full of risk, and I accepted each one of them. But life beat the hell outta me. I was pushed, dragged, threatened, injured, I lost, I won. I had 2 life threatening events that nearly killed me. I left, I was left, I made promises and broke a few, I fell, stumbled, picked myself up, grew bitter, learned to accept what happened, got right, made mistakes, made good choices, but mostly got beat to a pulp. And presently....I am a burned ember. Observed from the outside, I appear irrelevant and used up. But the fire of which you spoke...Ah! That remains. But it's burned into my interior. I appear a grey hunk of used ash. But if one got close enough to feel the heat...it's still there. But it has found its home in my heart, where it does me the most good. If you please, I would love to hear from you again. You can contact me at Coldrainandwind@aol.com. Let me correct myself a bit. I'm not saying I'm just old and used up. I'm saying my "uniform" is ragged, soiled, torn and bloodied...but it's still my uniform, and it proves I've been there, done that...and I'd do it all again. I know what I've just said is contradiction. But I am a contradiction, in the flesh. I am not what I appear to be, and I appear to be what I am not. Life has been...difficult. It's my life. I love it. But if there's a next time I'll duck, where needful, and punch where possible. I'm still a fighter. Thank you so much for your expression. It means more to me than you could know. By the way, you may not be as anonymous as you think! But what do I know?...James

0 comments: