CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 10, 2014

Nothing But Honor*

Pinning
His battle ribbons
Upon his lapel
I stepped away
From the casket
Came to attention
And in the soft light
Saluted my father.

Honor answering honor.

Lying before me
Was the body
The casing
Of the man
Who gave me
A name
Who provided
A model
Upon which to construct
A life.

The tri-folded colors
He served
Rested near his head.

I held my salute
Long moments
Finally
Slowly
Stiffly
Returning my hand
To my side.

Later
Would I tell him
I loved him.

Later
Would I thank him
For his love.

But my first debt
Was one of honor.

I saw my father
Laugh
Saw him
Angered
Frustrated
Happy
Saw him
Kiss my mother
Saw him
Weary
But I never
Saw him
Fearful.
He had to have been.
But he never let me
See him
Shiver.

Honor.

That which lay before me
Was the vehicle
That transported my father
Across eight decades.
It was scarred
Worn
And thin.
But it accomplished its purpose.

Honor.

When I left him
In that military sod
I took away nothing
But memory
And left nothing
But honor.


* My Veteran's Day tribute to my father, Cpl. H.L. Woods, Co. C, 1st Army, 2nd Armored Division ("Hell on Wheels"), serving from North Africa, the Normandy Landing, and on through France, Belgium and Germany.

0 comments: