CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Asleep in the Valley

Sleeping Wolf

Snows drifted, swirling 
With winter's breath
Piling against the trunks
Of ancient birches
And gathering 
In the black-tipped
Sandy coat
Of a sleeping wolf.

Star streamed eyes dreamed
Behind his lids
A slash of black
Either side
Of his dark 
Glistening nose.
His body curled in a crescent. 

Never have I seen 
A wolf 
So detached from his truth
Resting in winter's cruel hold.

He
At any moment
May awaken
And regain his vicious nature.

I stepped softly
The snow parting 
Against the shaft of my boots.

Time was of no consequence.
Light dulled and faded to dusk.

I reached out and touched 
The beast
The animal
The creature
Like an Indian Warrior
Counting Coup
And discovered him to be 
Like me.

Asleep 
In the valley of dreams
In the embrace of snows. 




 

0 comments: