CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Squint Just Right


I stood gazing into what starlight
Chicago night-glare permitted.
Only the most hardy of stars penetrated
The milky smear of urban cover.

A particular stab of light
Caught my attention.
It was directly overhead
And seemed to slowly move.

I watched it until
My neck ached.
Whether or not
It truly moved
Was uncertain.

Finally, I surrendered my curiosity
And returned to
The more stable universe
Of my kitchen.

Later, when sleep should have
Overtaken me
I lay awake
Thinking of you...
Imagining your orbit
The way you move through a life
That no longer includes me.

You and that mysterious star
Merge within my thoughts.
I imagine your movement
But can not discern
Your orbit.

But I am not a space man.
I am a mud hound
And being such
Must train myself
To avoid looking up.

It leads to frustration
And despair.

Besides
Mud is interesting, too
If you squint just right.

0 comments: