CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 1, 2014

Personal to Tim O'Keefe

Thank you for your comments on my work. "Aachen" is a lethal scene that harks back to my father's WWII service with the 2nd Armored. I truly believe that generation was our greatest, as said by Tom Brokaw in his memorable tome. I find it hard to imagine the brain-bending fear of knowing you were going to cross a river when the sun set, and that guns already trained on your position would then open fire. My God. Combat, in every detail, land, sea and air, is horrific and brutal.

As for A Chicago's Winter Eve, I once worked for the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad, as a tariff agent. In winter, I arrived at work in the early dark, and left my 27th floor office after dark. I'm very familiar with the emotions a person often had when looking down into Chicago's Magnificent Mile. I remember being overwhelmed at the composite of human drama in the vast scene at my feet. Down there, somewhere, was a girl with a sparkling new engagement ring, and another woman, devastated at the betrayal of her mate. There were people blossoming, while others wilted. There were happy men, in luxurious Mercedes automobiles, having that day, won a million at the Market, while others limped away completely broke. And there were the many, like me, in the middle, just waiting for the trains to run. It is as fresh in memory as though it had just happened. I do not miss it. It is a terrible thing to see the world through a God-sized lens.

Fiddle Dee Dee happened to me, but the recounted meeting across a table is imaginary. In reality her lawyer did the cutting. I did the bleeding. My ex, and the guy she left me for, were the financial winners. I learned that being in the right is irrelevant to our legal system. The lawyer with the biggest bite will win. I had no money because she cleaned me out. So yeah...the story is true. I'm not bitter (any longer). But I am educated as to the way the system works (and doesn't work). My ex I leave to God. I hope he is merciful, because I would not be. Okay...I admit to harboring a little bitterness after all these years.

As for Giving Thanks...my life has been in question so many times, to recount each incident would sound melodramatic. I am grateful for each breath.

Thank you, Tim, for reading my work. Anyone who returns as often as you is my friend! I hope others, reading this, will give your site a look as well. (Anyone who enjoys thoughtful, excellent writing can read Tim at Justordinarythoughts.blogspot.com). I must say, however, your thoughts are anything but "ordinary."

~ James

0 comments: