CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

all the way over

gonna take off these boots
when i reach that
red rock road.
gonna toughen the soles
of these too-soft feet
and get Arkansas's
ancient soil
between my toes.

gonna let the midday heat
beating down
and waving up
drench me in southern sweat.
gonna lift my hands
to confederate-grey skies
and let the weight of years
exact its toll of debt.

gonna sigh from my heart
and bleed from my soul
when i cross that
Arkansas line.
gonna weep for the memory
of the living and the dead
considering the thin-braided coil
that connects us to time.

gonna wash my feet
cool my brow
and anoint my wounds
when i get to Jordan's banks.
gonna walk on Jordan's tide
all the way over
to the promised land
shouting loud the offering of my thanks!


0 comments: