CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Keeping the Wolf at Bay

His embarrassment was painful
To see.
Were I able I would have
Smoothed the lines
From his face
Would have given him some hope.

But his trouble exceeded
My magic.

It did not require a seer
To read his thoughts.

“How am I going to tell my wife
My kids
I can’t keep the wolf at bay?”

Sometimes the only thing to do
Is do nothing at all.
I gave him time
To embrace his despair.

Sometimes a man needs
Someone to stand with him
And watch his world crumble.

Soon I will sit on his side of the desk.
When that time comes
I hope the one sitting where I now sit
Has the compassion and the sense
To stay quiet
While my life implodes.

He rose to his feet
Shook my hand
And thanked me.

He thanked me.

I avoided his eyes
Because in them I knew
I would see myself
Looking back, saying
“You’re welcome.”

0 comments: