CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, February 4, 2013

I Did Not Blink

The night was like iron
On the platform
Where the offender and I waited.

A point of light
A mile down track
Marked the inbound train.

My thoughts hung
Like mist
In the midnight air.

I thought of his brutality
The scars on the body
Of his wife.

I thought of the damage
To her trembling soul
Her fractured heart.

He was apprehended
Before he began
A fresh assault.

I trembled too.
Not because of fear.
I shook with murder.

Rage pulsed within.
I hated this man
This creature beside me.

I wanted him in a cold cell
But he had yet
To inflict his fresh hell.

We were moving him
Down the tracks
Out of town.

Be careful
I said
You may fall
In front of that train.
The engineer can’t see you.
You’ll die.
You'll be dead.

Dead.
Dead.

He laughed at me.
I grabbed his arm fiercely
Shifting him toward the edge
Of the platform
My left shoulder
Shoving into his right.
The train’s bell clanged
The smell of diesel
And a fresh chill
Having nothing to do with the cold
Filled the air.

Bile rose from my gut
To the back of my throat
The silver and blue engine
Growing as large as my hate.

The engine passed.
The Metra slowed
Then stopped
The door sliding open.
Florescent light
Poured out
Like blood gushing
From the wounds of his wife.

The monster stepped inside
Turning toward me.

Could you really do it?
He asked.

I did not blink
Until the door closed
And he was gone.

0 comments: