CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Solace

How came this
Softness in my eyes?
This easing of my features?

Once
I had the glint
Of an eagle
The jaw of a bear.

Now
Young men hold the door
And young women pass
Without a fleeting glance.

The second hand soars as a sparrow
The minute hand glides as a hawk
And the hour hand hunts
With the stealth of an owl.

The advance of years is not comfortable.

I once relished the sun on my skin
And the wind in my face.
Now I seek the shade of the elm
And find shelter from the blade
Of the breeze.

But there is solace in memory.
I hurry backward
To feel the wire in my frame
And the steel in my purpose.
It waits for me there
Like a maiden awaiting her prince.

Time is the stream in which I wade
Its waters my balm.

Take my hand and come with me.
The water is not deep
But exceedingly kind.

2 comments:

Ron said...

Indeed. Age sucks. But you've got to lean into it...

Anonymous said...

I remember you from many, many years ago. Say in the early 70's. You had the world by the tail it seemed. You had an incredible smile and spark in your eye that said....." watch out, I'm coming and the world is going to know exactly what I stand for"............I was so proud to know you and be a part of your life back then. Oooh, to get back some of THOSE years......to never let it escape us again! James, I knew you......I loved you.....I loved you.