CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, February 9, 2015

Domino

Domino is my pony
And she’s been this way before.

The blaze on her face
And one white sock
On her right rear leg
Mark her flesh.
She is a rich chestnut
And a splendid animal.

Domino is a wind-eater
And a fire-breather

Her shoulders work
Between my thighs.
Her rich, full mane
Flutters
In the morning breeze
Like the white and yellow
Butterflies
Playing above the rolling prairie grasses.

There are places in this terrain
A man and horse
Will dip below the horizon
As if they never were
Only to appear again
As though birthed by the earth.

I listen to the song
Of creaking saddle leather
The cadence of Domino’s hooves
Upon the firm earth
And her occasional deep exhalations .

Domino smells the Powder River
And quickens her pace
Wanting water.
I give her her head
And in moments we are at a
Fast trot.

A quarter mile later
And Domino wants to run.

The land blurs
And I lean into her
Taking up the reins
To just behind her graceful
Sweeping neck.

Domino loves to run.
I tighten my knees
Into her muscle
Becoming one
With this magnificent creature.

And we run!
We fly!

I close my eyes
Laying the side of my head
Against Domino’s neck.

Does she think my thought?
Does her heart beat with mine?
Do her lungs exhale what I inhale?

Yes.
I believe it is so.

Domino’s hooves
Tattoo the earth
And I could run with her
Forever!

0 comments: