CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Oxygen

I no longer know you.
I did once.

Familiar metaphors apply…
Water under the bridge.
Turning a corner.

So much time has passed.
I am different as well
Although that is more difficult
For me to see.

Do not misunderstand
Dear one
I ache to see you again
Though that prospect
Is terrifying.

What if I were to look
Into your eyes
And saw the gaze of a stranger?
The cold
Unrecognizing
Return of an alien?
Or the tentative look
Of an embarrassed old love?

I cannot imagine anything more painful.

I still search for you
In the passing parade
At grocery stores
Shopping malls
Backseats of taxis
Cross walks
And bus stops.
But I do so cautiously
Like one uncertain.

When we were in love
The whole world was ours.
The sun and moon
Were our admirers.
Nothing was uncertain.
But uncertainty is now
The oxygen I breathe.

0 comments: