CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Come, Child (I'll Teach You to Hate)


She sat me on her
Knobby knee
Poked my belly
And said that’s where
A Yankee shot me.

I looked at my
Belly button
With a child’s shock
And examined my “wound”
Taking amazed stock.

That’s how Grammy
Taught me to hate
Soldiers wearing blue
And disdain all
They both say and do.

Her daddy was a *Rebel
And he toted
His hate forever
Passing it on to me
To lay it down never.

Soldiers in blue
Have marched far off
And never will return
But if they do
They’ll set these fields to burn.

So come, child, sit upon my knee
And I’ll teach you
How and who to hate.
It’s branded on your belly
It’s both our fortune and your fate.


*5th Mississippi Vol. Infantry, Co. C 

1 comments:

Ron said...

If you had stayed in Detroit no yankee would have had reason to shoot you. :)

Ronnie Boy