CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, January 24, 2021

Closed Doors 

Morrison droned Riders on the Storm
from the cabinet stereo.
She was closer than dark on Saturday night.
I could not tell you who was president
the size of the engine in my Detroit muscle
or to what college I had applied.

She was up my sinuses and below my buckle.
Never had a girl suggested the things she promised.
I was a boy with his head in the noose
and his feet dancing in midnight air.

Riders on the Storm. 
Into this house we're born. 
Into this world we're thrown.

Despite my teenage bravado 
and my dad's English Leather
I was clueless how to proceed.
No matter.
She knew precisely.

Like a dog without a bone
or actor out on loan...

She did not need to reach for me.
There was no space between us.
Her stereo had a little green light
and that emerald glow was all
the go signal I required.

Riders on the storm.

Driving home that night
I kept the radio off
and all my windows down
hoping the September wind
would cleanse my soul
and calm my pulse.

It did not.

Girl...take him by the hand
make him understand
the world on you depends.
Our life will never end. 
Gotta love your man.

Ninety minutes in that little green orb
taught me to obey red lights
for the rest of my life.

Riders on the storm.




0 comments: