CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 14, 2021

The Resistant Cap'n

On the eve of New Year's Eve
I sat a new bottle of spiced rum
on the floor beside my bed.
I'd been calculating the sum
of my non-productive life
and my mind was filled with dread.

It's wearisome, is it not?
The way the soul cries for
compensation, for something
to grasp; anything 'more.'
I was having a crisis of faith;
determined to take a taste of liquid redemption.

Two o'clock spun up
and I was wide asleep;
in that space between sighs
when that gap before you is deep.
Maybe I stopped caring, ceased to think
looking from reddened eyes, listening to lies.

My fingers reached for Cap'n Jack
lifting the bottle from the floor.
Grasping the neck's cap, I applied pressure
twisting it more and more.
For sometime I labored to open the bottle
but it refused to comfort and reassure.

Ultimately, I surrendered my battle with the bottle
and pressed my face into my bed sheet.
The Cap'n is not my friend.
I had forgotten how to stand upon my feet
and trust in those truths I'd professed 
for years, through cold and heat.

I will not attempt to moralize, my dears.
The lesson here is plain.
No man is beyond the struggle.
Every temptation may leave a stain.
But there is no victory over sin just because
the sealed cap, on the bottle remains!




0 comments: