CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 5, 2021

The Sweetest Moment 

Civil war soldiers, having tasted combat
said they'd "Seen the elephant."
They would see it repeatedly
until it stomped them
gored them
or left them.

From the perspective
of many trips around the sun
I, too, have "Seen the elephant."

The first time it came 
blistering through the sawgrass
it arrived in the form
of one pretending an ally
who told me, simply, he was
going to kill me.

The elephant roared again
when an assailant fired three rounds
past my left ear.
Each bullet buzzed like a honeybee.
I could feel the heat of each one
just before it pancaked into the brick wall
behind me.

The elephant laughed the day
as a building laborer
I tumbled through a hole
in the ceiling of a ten foot room
landing on my back
across an aluminum ladder.

It laughed again the morning
a giant of a drunken fool
stood across from me
and tucked my Bible
beneath an arm the size of 
a fire hydrant, saying the sacred book was his.
I jammed my chin into my chest
and rammed the behemoth in the gut.
I really didn't think that through.
I retained my Bible and my honor
But the elephant stumbled away.

The elephant was not laughing
that November morning
a blood vessel burst 
deep within my brain
doing what neither 
my false friend
three bullets
a fall
and a thug
did not do.

I have "Seen the elephant"
and in so doing have learned
a few lessons:

Take the threat seriously
even when it smiles at you.
Especially when it smiles at you.
Never smile back.
When you once more open your eyes
look at the sky.
Appreciate the color.
Smell the sweet air and drink it in.
Feel your neurons fire
and your nerves react
from your brain
to your extremities.
Listen to the music in the trees.
Feel the goodness of your heart thumping
in your chest.
And celebrate that the elephant has
once more
thundered into the brush.

You must see it at least once more.
And in that final moment, it will win.
But that is then.
This is now.
This time, you are walking away.

And that, my friend
apart from cradling your babies
in your arms
is the sweetest moment in life.










0 comments: