CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, April 22, 2013

In the Meantime

In a moment of crisis
I begged God
Give me more time.
It seemed reasonable
And he was gracious.

That was sixteen years ago.

Now I sit here
A reasonable man
Looking back
Sixteen years
Wondering if any good
Came from it.

My doctor tells me
Just keep taking my meds
And come back in six weeks.
In the meantime
Complete this battery of tests.
Schedule a colonoscopy.
Cut back on the salt
And consider a treadmill.

My counselor tells me
It’s one step at a time.
Don’t overdrive my headlights.
Take some time out every day.
In the meantime
See the accounts receivable secretary
On the way out
And come back next Friday.

My wife tells me
I never focus on the essentials.
I’ve checked out.
Where did the romance go?
In the meantime
Watch this Hallmark Movie.
Some flowers would be nice.
Maybe some Fannie May.
And try a little harder.

My boss tells me
The stats are overdue.
The payout ledger needs updated.
My schedule is packed solid.
And my hours are cut.
In the meantime
Multitask better.
Read the new HQ bulletin.
Eat lunch at my desk
And park in the distant outer limits.

My friend tells me
Better me than him.
Stand up to the world.
Man-up.
Shut up.
Quit belly aching.
In the meantime
It’s my turn to flip for breakfast.

God asks me
How I’ve enjoyed these
Sixteen years of grace?
He tells me it’s best
Not to ask permission
To alter his perfect plans.

And he wants to know
If I want sixteen more years
Of mean time.

0 comments: