CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, July 22, 2013

The Veteran’s Toast

I stopped feeling years ago.
Numbness is a blessing
And far to be valued
Over giving a damn.

Caring has a steep price.
It slices the heart
Poisons the soul
And stings the eyes.

But years of stuff
Designed to take the edge off
Dull the senses
And soothe the mind
Wear away the years of pain.

I’ve stepped away
From the precipice
Its dizzy heights
And fathomless depths.

Those whose nerves
Are still sharp
And whose hearts
Are still filling with things
They will
If they are lucky
Live to regret
Jeer at me
Shaking their heads
Saying I am jaded
I have become fearful
And a shame to their vaunted
Esprite de Corps.

If I cared
I would turn
My face to the wall
So they could not see
All the pain
All the years
All the sorrow.

But I’ve stopped caring.

Damn their foolish pride.
Someday they will understand.

So, here's to all you
Young ones
Who know it all
Who smile smugly at old vets
Like me.

Open another one
And turn down the damn lights
So you can't see
What I know
About where you'll go.

0 comments: