CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Thoughts While Walking Away *

I’ve packed my gear
It sits by the door.
My dog’s on his rug.
I can hear him snore.

The kids are in bed
My wife’s still asleep.
There’s nothing preventing
Me making this leap.

My nerves are steeled
It’s time that I go.
But the plan from here
God only knows.

So, pray for me.
Better yet, pray for them.
I don’t want’em thinking
I left on a whim.

If I stick around here
I’m likely to snap.
I see the pattern in me
Like roads on a map.

The violence done me
In a far away land
Will eventually come home
The way wind blows the sand.

Better it find me
When I’m all alone.
I’ll explain it to her later
When I call on the phone.

Maybe this’ll blow over
And I’ll find me some peace.
If not, I’ll have spared my family
At least.

* Again, not autobiographical, but
I deal with those for whom this is
very real, and sometimes tragic.
Freedom, as is said, is never free.
This 4th of July, thank a soldier.

0 comments: