CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Best Critter

He circled the clearing
As I watched him draw near
And I fingered my Henry
Thinking I’d make him pay dear.

Eyes red as embers
Gleamed in the night
Filling me with dread
And no little fright.

Clothed in bear skin
And feet soft in snow
He could kill quickly
Where ever he’d go.

I sat still as granite
Not making a sound
The only noise my fire
Crackling there on the ground.

As I watched his progress
I knew he'd attack from behind
He’d do it next pass
And he wouldn't be kind.

But he came at me head on
Much to my surprise
And I shot him in front
Of where my bedroll lies.

I skinned him right there
And cut me a shank
For my fire that night
With his blood, which I drank.

It put me to thinking
Who was better, him or me?
As I tossed his ears in hot water
To brew me some tea.

Aw, it don’t matter
Someday I’ll do it again.
When we fight the good fight
May the best critter win!

0 comments: