CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Courage by the Pint*

It went down smooth
But burned my throat
Then splattered my belly sore
Like the bursting of many suns
And, Lor’, I wanted more!

The dark brown bottle
Still held a splash
(Maybe nine or ten!)
So I drank some more
And I drank down more again.

By bottle’s end
I was feelin’ fine
And I loved this wicked brew
So I went back where I got it
And stole another, maybe two.

Call it liquid brains
Courage in a bottle
Call it romance by the pint.
It may look shabby by day
But it’s poetry by night!

Sure, it makes me wobble.
My speech will even slur.
I pr'bly will puke up my shoes
But that’s the way of real good likker
What some say is just payin' dues.

It goes down awful hard
But always comes out smooth.
I'm ten feet tall and bullet proof!
And I'll show you just how mighty I am
When I go flying off my roof!


* Nope. Not autobiographical.

1 comments:

Tim O'Keefe said...

You are one prolific son-of-a-gun. Your poems are at once easy AND a challenge. There is enough not said that they leave you guessing about the precise subjects, the emotions behind them, the motivations. I thank you for stopping by my blog occasionally. Never enough people leave comments, but plenty of lookiloos.