CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 20, 2014

The Company of Fear

Her body trembled
In my embrace
The enormity of her fate
Becoming formidable.

She was frightened.

I would have been as well
Except that
In this hour
She needed
Unshaken flesh
To contain hers.

Later
It would be my turn
To shake.

The sun traveled
The wall
Behind her
Until its naked glare
Reduced
To evening shade.

Her head
Buried in my chest
Finally moved
Her eyes
Finding mine.

It will be okay
I said
Embarrassed
By my insincerity.

No
She said
It will not.

She kissed my cheek

But thank you
She said.
I know you wish it so
But it will never be okay.


The next morning
She drove me to the airport
The depth and breadth
Of her emergency
Yet before her.

I never saw her again
But every time I see the sun
Transiting my wall
I remember the silence
Of those hours.

Like fading light
She has gone beyond time
And I am left
With the memory
Of her shaking
And the company
Of her fear.

0 comments: