CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 6, 2016

Summation

I took my badge off my chest
And put it in a drawer
Knowing I had no need for it
And would not wear it anymore.

I took my uniform to the cleaner
Told them to fold it in a box.
I took the clip out of my Colt
And hid it beneath my socks.

All the equipment I had used
For more than twenty years
I carefully put everything away.
They had no further purpose here.

The only thing remaining
Is the hat that I had worn.
It sits high up on a shelf
Next to cans of beans and corn.

A man is more than what he was.
He is more than what he’s done.
A man is not the sum of where he’s been
Of battles, lost or won.

My life remains unfinished.
It’s a night without a moon.
It’s a rhyme without a meter.
It’s a song without a tune.

2 comments:

Tim O'Keefe said...

I love this one. Great meter and all, but the sentiment - a man is more than what he's done - is so powerful. We are all in the process of becoming, no matter what our age or stage. Maybe until the very last breath we take. I hope that you have many more poems in you, James.

The Dashboard Poet said...

Thanks, Tim. I may have a few more poems in me. At least, I'll keep trying. Maybe some day I'll get it right!