CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, June 3, 2016

The Meter's Running

Where are we going, mister?
I’ve got a full tank
And the whole night.
There’s nothing in front of us
But an empty highway
And static on the radio.

So, where are we going, mister?

Wherever you’re headed
I’ve been there before.
Whatever you need to see
I’ve seen.

It would do no good to tell you
Whatever it is
You think you need
You do not.

But I’m up for the trip, mister
So the door’s open
The meter’s running
And I’ve got all night.

That dark lonesome
Waiting to fill your belly
Has ten thousand names
Each of them sadder than
The one before.
If you want to meet them
Mister
I’ll introduce to you each one.
But, I promise you
Mister
Every one of those names
Will cost more than you can pay.
Remember this
Mister
My meter’s running
And when the sun comes up
You will pay my fee too.

So, where are we going, mister?

2 comments:

Tim O'Keefe said...

HA! Reminds me of Harry Chapin's "Taxi" a little. Opposite sentiments compared to your last post.

The Dashboard Poet said...

Gotta mix things up. Keep 'em guessing.