CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, April 17, 2017

No Good, Nasty Dirty Dealer*

I'd lied and cheated, dealin' cards
I was workin' the room pert hard.
I took their bills in tens and twenties
And had stuffed my pockets full and plenty.

The cards all came from the bottom and middle
I dealt 'em slick while a drunk picked his fiddle.
They sat the whole night drinkin' rye
While I raised the stakes near to the sky.

By four in the mornin' I'd cleaned 'em out
When some drunken logger raised up a shout.
I made for the door, duckin' their led 
Barely managing to keep my body and  head.

They were swearin', cussin' and throwin' fire
Doing all they could, their money to acquire.
They chased me up and they chased me down
And they chased me all through that gol'dern town.

All I wished to do was get as far as I may
Jus' hopin' to live and cheat another day.
How I got away I sure don' know
But I'm here to say, sweet lord, it's so.

I know they chased me far as they could
Halfway into some dark, forbidding wood.
But it wasn't a total, entire route.
Cuz' the other half I was runnin' out!


*My apologies to those reading in another language. The poem is written in an English style that may not translate well.

0 comments: