CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, April 17, 2017

When the Loop's Off the Hammer*

I watched him walk in
And stride up to the bar.
He was just a fool kid
And I wore a star.

He ordered a whiskey
But choked at its sting.
He was just a fool kid
Who didn't know a thing.

He stood there a minute
Then he turned to face me.
Said he came here with his gun
To make outlaw history.

I said, "Son, you don't want this.
Turn now and leave."
While I starred at his fingers
At the right cuff of his sleeve.

The kid thumbed away the loop
That was wrapped 'round his hammer.
That .45 was free to pull
And that fool kid did not stammer.

"You're going to die today, lawman."
And he went for his gun.
Then I shot him dead
Like he was no one.

Let this be a lesson.
I'm telling you so.
When the loop's off the hammer 
There's no place to go.


*The "loop" is a small leather thong that secures a gun  to the holster, so as to prevent an accidental draw from a holster.

0 comments: