CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 17, 2020


Her Italian Story


Sitting cross-legged across from me
she was remembering Tuscany
and its sun-drenched vineyards
of which I had only heard.

Her midnight eyes danced
when she told me of her chance
to see the Eternal City
the Apian Way and statuary.

I guess once you've been to Italy
it's infused in all you see.
But I'm just imagining
having never been east of sunrise.

She'd climbed the Spanish Steps
and with the thought, her heart leapt.
I watched her spirit thrill
and poured myself more tea.

No, I've never been to Rome
never strayed that far from home.
I can't wrap my mind
around what is not American. 

She ended her Italian story
with gold and Vatican glory.
I had all day to reconsider life 
but I had no choice to make.

Except this: never pull up a chair
if you've never been over there
and tasted their wine or golden sunshine.
Son, just buckle in and remain home.
 
So, it's life among the corn rows
and as far as that goes
it could be lots worse
but, buddy, seems it might could be better.










0 comments: