CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Fathers and Sons


Every single day
since I was a kid
dad would saddle up
to go out and do what he did.

Somehow I knew
in my little kid brain
that everything he did
was a daily strain.

Dad grew old
like all of us do
and then it came my turn
to do my part, too.

We buried dad
in twenty, double ought zero
and we put him in the ground.
To me, a natural-born hero. 

Now I know what tired is.
I'm older than dad when he quit 
and it's my son's turn
to take the hit.

But things are backward
than when I was a kid
'cuz sons no longer honor
what their fathers did. 

I'll rise and greet the dawn 
and I'll pay for my meal.
I'll do so without complaint
no matter how I feel.

But if I'm gonna rest well
I gotta figure out a way.
So I'll sit here on my front porch
and keep the wolves at bay.








0 comments: