CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, November 21, 2020


The Gauntlet

Watching the police line move into barriers
they had established 
I smelled familiar scents known to me
for better than two decades...
gun oil, leather, smoke drifting across their line
from fires lit by "the bad guys"
fifteen yards down field.

I heard suppressed laughter emitting 
from both sides.
Loud cursing coming from down field
the crackling of newly lit fires
breaking glass
sergeants adjusting their line
I felt the familiar chill begin
between my shoulder blades
fanning to my toes.

Of course, I was not there.
The flickering images on my TV screen
carried me back to my position
just behind my officers
standing erect and confident.
They in riot gear.
I in my soft uniform
with military-styled "cover" (hat).

I wanted to be there with my officers
and I was pleased to be no where near
the pending clash would ignite.

I thought it dangerous 23 years ago.
It is more so today.

Today the tumult is joined
by the growl and vapors
of military vehicles
painted black
like ancient dragons.
They would be friendly to me
but they were built to frighten
as much as to discharge their purpose.

Police began to beat their shields
with batons
sending down the avenue 
a threat...
they were coming.
There were no "friendlies"
east of that line.


Drifting clouds hung above the asphalt
toward clumps of protesters.
Miserable, drifting gas clouds were used
with precision by law enforcement.
The occasional rebel would grasp a 
deployed canister
and lob it short of police lines
but was cheered by disorderly 
foolish young people
thinking themselves in confederation
with some twisted idea of flaming democracy
and prevailing anarchy.


They cannot
they will not prevail.

Once the gauntlet is thrown
by either side
there will be
blood.  



0 comments: