CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 24, 2014

So Much to Fear

I was five years old
And clung to my mother’s hand
Like a wounded soldier
Clutches his crucifix.

My world was massive
And frightening.

In kindergarten
They taught me
When I saw the atomic flash
I must
Drop and Cover.

At the crossing I was to
Stop, Look and Listen.

At the street corner
I must
Look Both Ways.

Smokey said
Only I Can Prevent
Forest Fires.

Were I to catch fire
I was to
Stop, Drop and Roll.

I was warned to
Never take candy from a stranger.

From the pulpit
The preacher shouted I was
Going to hell.

President Roosevelt was wrong
In saying
All I have to fear is fear itself.

President Kennedy warned
I lived beneath a
Nuclear Sword of Damocles.

So much for a five year old to fear!
Surely the world would become more friendly
As I aged.

Not so.

All the old fears remained
And I was to learn new ones.

Just because she says
She loves me
Does not mean she does.

Just because I have a job
Does not mean
I may keep it.

Just because I do not smoke
Does not mean
I do not have cancer.

Just because I seem safe
Does not mean
I am.

Just because the dog wags its tail
Does not mean
It does not bite.

Just because I obey the traffic laws
Does not mean
A drunk driver will not kill me.

So why do they laugh when I say
I want my mommy?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

James,
I love this poem because it is raw. I love raw because its' naked. I love that you remember the 1st love in your life that ever comforted you.
I love that you wanted your mommy.....I understand!
Others didn't understand because of the(4)edges of the box they live in.

Forever Etched In Time
The Goddess of Love
DIANA

Unknown said...

James,
I love this poem because it is raw. I love raw because its' naked. I love that you remember the comfort your the 1st love in your life gave you.
I love that you wanted her to comfort you again...I understand!
Others didn't understand because of the(4)edges of the box they live in.

Forever Etched In Time,
The Greek Goddess,
DIANA