CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

The River of Life


This stinking creek bed

Is the sheltering of angels
Holding me
Among its bush and tangle
Of exposed tree roots.
I do my best
To look like everything
Around me.
  
River mud
Cakes my face
Arms and hands.
I settle among fallen leaves
Bones of long-dead fish
And small frogs.

And I wait.

They are coming
I know.
I hear their soft steps
Trying to not disturb
The jungle floor
Trying to not alert me.
But I smell them
Their cigarette breath
Their unwashed skin
They even carry with them
The slight smell
Of breakfast fish and rice.

So I wait.

I am one.
They are many.
If it comes to shooting
I cannot prevail.
I hug myself and press hard
Into the soft mud.
I restrict myself
To shallow breaths
Fearful my own breathing
Will betray me.

Tucking my .45 into my chest
I thumb off the safety.
I think of the destroyed sanctuary
Of my Phantom.

They are closer.
One says something
And another softly laughs.
An officer quiets them.

They are close.

I shut my eyes
Squeezing the lids down hard
An unconscious denial of what is coming.

Their bayonets prod the brush.
I want to become the river bank.
I stop breathing
Holding out as long as possible.

They and I have one common goal.
We both want my heart to stop beating.
But they want it more than I.
  
I think of my wife and kids
Safely home
Sleeping in warm beds.
I think only of them.

I hope this is the River of Life.

0 comments: