CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, August 25, 2014

No Bells

No bells announced your going.
No cast iron tones served your herald.
News came by cold
Matter of fact
E-mail.

It seemed rude
Unholy
To learn of your passing
By the arrival
Of black pixels.

You were my friend.
We shared holidays
Celebrated birthdays
The accomplishments
Of children
Arrival of grand children.

How is it you’ve gone?

Two weeks ago
You sent me a message
Saying you were in town
Asking whether
We might meet for coffee.
I asked pardon
Being otherwise busy.

It now seems cruel
The casual way
I begged off your invitation.
Maybe next time
You said.
I now more understand
That futility.

Though we lived far apart
The world now seems
More hollow
Colder.

The world has much changed
From the time it was common
But how is it no bells announced
Your passing?

1 comments:

Tim O'Keefe said...

Your poems leave me with so many questions. Who? Why? What are the relationships? But the FEELINGS are crystal. Isn't it cathartic? Thanks