CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

At Least Until I Die

I sat atop my pony
Gazing ‘cross the Great Divide.
We could go west, or east
It was for us together to decide.

There was little prompting.
It didn’t much matter which.
But we decided we’d head east
Based on a nagging itch.

The mountain passes would soon close
Being overwhelmed in snow.
The main thing was just getting out
Whichever way we’d go.

We backtracked the grassy plains.
Crossed rivers we’d crossed before.
There was little that we wanted
And we needed nothing more.

A couple of hard months later
We stepped into the eastern sea.
I thought of the troubling matter
Of what may come of me.

Talking it over with my pony
We determined to head south this time.
The matter was decided
In the flipping of a dime.

We finally arrived in Brownsville, Texas
But there was little for me there
So I discussed it with my pony
And we turned to take some northern air.

The day we came to Windsor, Canada
Was the day we made another choice.
Everybody must be somewhere
So I harkened to my pony’s voice.

My pony said he wanted a place
Where he could just lay down a bit.
He said he had grown so tired
And it was time for him to quit.

I bought that faithful pony two acres
Of good grass with apple trees.
But I was still good at walking
And any more goin' was up to me.

So I strolled to the Pacific Ocean
Just to see that water roll.
I could step in it and go on walking
There weren't many more places for me to go.

I guessed I could walk to China
Or retire atop a watery crest
Or I could go back to see my pony.
He always knew to do what's best.

So I turned back to my dear pony
And he made a place for me to lie.
Then invited me to stay forever
Or at least until I die.

Now we talk about our journeys
Up till our rambling days came to an end
Discovering the reason that we traveled
Was for a man and pony to become friends.

1 comments:

Tim O'Keefe said...

Beautiful, James. You keep cranking them out! I am guessing that at one time you were a horeseman, or at least owned horses. If not, you do an amazing job of true fiction writing. Happy New Year.