CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

From Charleston Harbor

From Charleston Harbor

Dolphins raced
Our bow
Their sleek
Shiny bodies
Breaching the waters
'Neath our craft
As fresh winds played
At our sails.
The canvas sighed
And banners popping
At our lofty topmasts
Came as the shock
Of cannon fire.

I anchored near our
Bowsprit
The twin spritsails
Catching salty mist
Hurling it back
Until its brine caught
In my beard
And fell in great drops
From my mustache
Onto my tongue.

Come about lively
To starboard!
Commanded our Captain
And the joyous dolphins
Matched our course
As we made for sea
From Charleston Harbor.

Far to the rear a seaman
Beat a drum
And every action along the
Teak deck
Matched his brave cadence.

Our lines reached
Toward cloud and sun
Appearing as the work
Of a great sea spider
Who’s weaving mastery
Enveloped our world
Of hull
Deck and sail.

The topmast forestay
Held fast to the jib topsail
Casting shadow
And dancing with me
As we moved along the
Meridian of the sun.

Twelve feet to the waterline
My dolphin friends chattered
And squealed
Like children laughing
And for a few moments stolen
At the bow
Racing the sun
Chasing the spray
I was the oracle
Of sea
Sun
And sail.

0 comments: