CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Everything's About Me*


married at 19
I thought I was gonna die.
a jungle war was waiting
and I never thought to reason why.

I needed to leave something behind.
I wanted to leave a broken heart
maybe as proof that I was here
but I mixed up the finish from the start.

however, Uncle never called
and soon we had a child.
surprised the hell outta me!
I may have been a little wild.

I labored seven years
toward a hard-earned college degree.
my future ex complained
everything was all about me.

so we spent 28 years
trying to figure things out.
we didn't know how to talk
but we both learned how to shout.

after the divorce I went down a rabbit hole
for 2 or 3 painful years.
but there wasn't anyone for me there
and I crawled away in tears.

a lot of years were given to police
and I was so happy to learn to serve.
I did a lotta hard things
that took a lotta nerve.

in the process of flying apart
my daughter couldn't bear what I became.
we haven't talked in 7 years
'cuz when everything's about me, I'm the one to blame.

my other child, my rock and anchor
became a successful business man.
but it's sometimes hard being with him.
he runs with the big dogs, while I do well to stand.

almost lost my life twice
as my body began breaking down.
I'm likely to die in my bed
and then they'll put me in the ground.

so, friend please don't inquire
about my life's work or legacy.
that's a sore subject.
'cuz everything's always about me.


* Yep. True story. (The part about my daughter hurts the most, but like everything in life, you find ways to deal with it. My way is ignoring it, since I was never made aware of the "charges" against me! So, yeah. It really hurts.)


0 comments: