CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Even Jesus Cried

I picked up the receiver
Knowing it was you on the phone.
Before you could speak
I cracked a silly comment.

But all I heard was sobbing.
When you finally spoke
You told me
Your dad had died.
You just got the call.
You had no details.

I struggled for something
To say
That would make things right.
Of course, that’s impossible.

Your heart was breaking
And you sobbed.
You were always a daddy’s girl
And now your world had turned over.

I asked if I could pray for you
And you eagerly agreed.
I spoke the unspeakable
Asked the unsearchable.

When we said goodbye
And the receiver clicked in its place
The ensuing silence was deafening.

Death finds all of us
But when it comes by telephone
It’s remarkably impersonal.

How do I commend my friend
To such pain and shock?

Even Jesus cried outside the tomb.

0 comments: